The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach

Friday, October 1, 2010

The vows

And the gushing continues... We wanted the wedding to really incorporate the kids, so we felt making vows to them as well was important.
Into this commitment Jason and Kortney bring with them seven, wonderful, interesting, and very entertaining children: Savannah, Kainon, Wrigley, Miah, Junah, Trinity and Zeph.
These children will look to you for stability, guidance, and as an example of a loving marriage, based on mutual respect and a love for Christ. Do you, Jason and Kortney, promise to love all of these children and their unique personalities? To play with them, discipline them, encourage them? To be committed listeners, to be fair, supportive and available for them as you are for each other as long as you both shall live? We do.
And we also wanted our vows to reflect who we are, not what tradition says your promises must be.

Jason and Kortney have written their own vows.
J: I vow to show you in some way everyday how much you mean to me.
K: I vow to always remind you why I am blessed to have you as my husband.

J: I vow to always bring you Caramellos.
K: I vow to never change the station when a Waylon Jennings song is playing.

J: I vow that raising our children will always be a joint venture.
K: I vow to defend you and our family with a force field of prayer and awesomeness.

J: I vow to never let you win without trying my best.
K: I vow to not be too proud to ask for your help when I need it.

J: I vow to walk beside you as your life long companion, and on the rare occasion you need me to, I will walk in front and protect you.

K: I vow to be supportive and help you solve your problems, often by using color coded spreadsheets.

J: I vow to never let you leave the house in the wrong clothing ensemble.
K: I vow to be someone you can be proud to bring home to your mommy.

J: I vow to remind you that the things that make you different from everyone else are the things that make you perfect for me.
K: I vow to love you, not just because of the man and father you are, not just because you crack me up, but because you are my soulmate and I was created to be with you.

J: Do you vow to be my wife? I do
K: Do you vow to be my husband? I do

3 comments:

  1. Well, the vows to the children made me cry at the wedding. Because you were so considerate of them and made them a part of it. Because I know that you all come together as one. Because I wish that had been done for me as a kid. It makes a difference to be acknowledged as a child...and an adult. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring tears to my eyes. This is so totally excellent.
    And I'm off to tell my husband that the things that make him different are why he's perfect for me. Thanks the loving is shared and I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kortney...I love your vows, they were just so perfect and I love the fact that you included the kids that was truly special. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete