The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

stay out of my purse

I understand that Education budgets have been cut. My parents are teachers and I know they feel it. Many teachers in our district were let go last year. In one of our neighboring towns the schools have cut middle school sports due to funding. See, I get it. I am empathetic and caring.

Now, I am complaining. Um, no one else is rolling in the dough either. My company did layoffs a few months back. My Jason and I have both had paycuts. Yet, on a daily basis we are hit up for money, for supplies, for food, for snacks, for money to be sent to school. I hate to be the bad guy who always says no, but it is really out of hand.
  • School fees, milk fees, book fees, and in high school class dues. All a pain, but they go with the territory.

  • Bus fees, we live too close to the school for the kids to ride the bus for free but too far for them to walk without leaving the house in the dark to get there on time.

  • Supplies that now include Clorox Wipes, trash bags, 3 boxes of tissues, and don't forget lumbar support for the teachers chair (okay I exaggerate a little.)

  • School book fair... where the kids end up buying erasers, toys and Justin Bieber posters. ahem... not books.

  • Football: The boys are to sell coupon books, do a phone tel-a-thon to raise money, and the booster club is to do fundraising while sending food for away games, making food for the night before, blah, blah, blah.

  • Sell coupon books for grade school, sell food or something (i threw it away) for intermediate school and make gift baskets for clubs to sell.

  • Lets also toss in that to go watch my own son play sports I pay $5 for an adult and $3 for kids just to get in the gate. Ridiculous.

The Duggars financially support all of their bazillion children and have no debt. Maybe its because they homeschool and they don't have to pay for bi-monthly annual fundraiser acceptance fee dues.

One of the kids is going to have to stop eating. Its for the good of the schools. I'm sure they'll understand.

1 comment: