Kainon served his 5 days of suspension rather uneventfully. The teachers were supportive and though he missed football games, his grades didn't suffer. Overall I am very proud of how mature he handled it all.
He went back to school Wednesday and played his final football game of the year last night. It was a cold night and we had all 6 kids bundled up in the bleachers cheering for their big brother.
Then after a passing play our receiver took a hit that he didn't shake off. It wasn't a feroscious hit but you could tell his bell had been rung.
Then he started seizing.
Ambulance finally arrives.
This is not good.
Then Life Flight helicopter arrives.
We all pray for him and wait.
News starts as we are all heading home around 11pm. He is in brain surgery.
We pray. We hold our kids a little tighter and a little longer as we tuck them in to their beds.
Wee hours this morning we hear that he didn't make it. An 18 year old boy from our small team, our tiny town, was lost this morning.
Kainon was stunned. He shuffled out to the bus stop early. I could see him standing there in the dusk. I walked out to give him another hug knowing he was going to have a very rough day but needs to be with his friends at school. I let a tear fall because as I hugged him all I could think was "I'm glad it wasn't you."
Friday, October 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OMG yes. I am glad too. Sending prayers to all your town.
ReplyDelete