The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

turn the page

I've been all gushy since the wedding lovefest, but today I'm a bit reflective about where and who I have been before now. In fact, I haven't given many details about my "former life" because I didn't think it was necessary to explain me now. Then there was that whole thing about past lives finding my blog and bashing all over me. I am hoping they grew bored with this blog and lost the address. That and now I am just indifferent to their opinions of me.

So... here it goes. I didn't feel very supported by my family when I was growing up. I felt they were more focused on their life plans so I tried to figure mine out myself. That meant I moved out early, and eventually made a family when I married at 19 and had a baby 6 months later. I was in love. It was passionate, crazy and positively unhealthy but I was committed to making it work. We were codependent, destructive, selfish, fake, hypocritical, insecure, jealous. We were growing up while trying to have a marriage. We moved often, we had several unplanned pregnancies and my spouse had mental health issues that he refused to deal with. With each move I tried to keep our demons in the closet so that I could maintain my facade of happy, rockin' superwife and mother. Then came the day I broke.

I won't get into the drawn-out-daytime-emmy-worthy details of how I got out, but I did it with the support of my friends and family. I moved across 2 time zones as the single mother of four and started over. In that time there were many dark days where I was tired, and sad and overwhelmed. I would have my freakouts and tantrums before cleaning myself up to return to my life already in progress. Then the fun part began.

I was able to figure out who I AM; who I am away from another person that I had adapted to. I decided what I like to do for fun, what is important to me. For example, I don't care much about television. Previously it was ALWAYS on, but in my new world it is hardly ever on. I refuse to have a TV in my bedroom. In my world we all eat at the table together. In my world I make time for myself: guilt-free. In my world we play board games and I refuse to EVER own a recliner. And as much difficulty as being a single parent was, I was able to create a household that I wanted my children to grow up in.

I thought this would be a problem when the My Jason phase of life began. I would have to share my life, my children, my way of doing things. Instead, I have picked someone who does things the same way I do. He loves the Goodwill, the bookstore and the porch swing as much as I do. He parents the same way I do. He and I live the same life. I will admit that he makes a pile of dirty clothes in one spot in our bedroom that annoyed me until I started putting my dirty clothes there too. Now I don't mind it.

I have blogged before about being an advocate for divorce/breakups if it means not wasting another day in a relationship where no one is working on making it better. But I am also a fan of the clean sheet of paper in your diary that is given to you. Divorce is painful and sad and it hurts (i'm redundant) but if I hadn't left I would never have had the opportunity to have the life I have created for myself.

I am rambling. In Cocktail, Tom Cruise says "If things didn't end badly, then they wouldn't end." Perhaps, but things can be so good when you turn the page past THE END and find a whole new chapter.

6 comments:

  1. How I wish I didn't care that much about TV. I am such an escapist--but it's a great goal I have. (Not sure I'll ever reach it.) The example you set for your children that moving on can be scary but worth it! The most important thing I've always felt about divorce is to make sure you choose to get up and start again. You did that in spades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this entry on your blog. My husband and I are having problems. I am really tired of living the way I have been for the better part of our almost eighteen years of marriage. I told him last March I wanted a divorce. He begged me to try to work it out. I agreed and he sorta tried, but really just doesn't get it. The only thing holding me back is our 6 children. I am so ready for it to be over, but can't stand the thought of what it will do to my kids. Thank you for showing me the happy after the sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie, Thanks for the pat on the backs and for listening to me cry during the meltdowns.

    Dee, I am glad you found this post. Divorce is hard, especially with children, but its not a death sentence. I respect the commitment of marriage, but I also believe life is just too short to not be happy. I had a pastor ask me once "where in scripture does it say you have to jump in the lake with a rock tied around your neck?" Please feel free to email me anytime. Its nice to have someone in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My divorce was probably the hardest thing, yet it was also my best growth as a person.
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read what you wrote I realized that is where I am now. Thank you for letting me know that somewhere there is a light at the end of the tunnel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl ann, I second JB that my divorce, and the whole process, was the most difficult thing I have ever been through but it was a refining process. I am better person, a better mother and even now a better wife because of what I went through. You will come through shining on the other side as well (and you can always email me when you need to be reminded of that! :) You are a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete