The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach

Monday, October 4, 2010

"But Mom, I could be your meal ticket."

Kainon needs a personal assistant. Anyone interested?

Let me say that I love my boy. He is an overachiever to say the least. He is a freshman in high school this year. So far, he has earned a starting position on the varsity football team. He is a first chair double bass player in the orchestra. He is an A student. He is a class representative for student council. He is a member of the Water Conservation Club and I'm sure he is in some other activities that I don't have written down in my calendar.

I was worried at first when he would eat, sleep and breathe preparing for the life of a college student athlete. He spent his summer biking to weights, working out, football camp, shooting hoops at open gym, biking home and going to basketball practice. In between those activities he would be reading classic literature to prepare for college. He would sit in our chair and stress about not knowing what type of scholarships he would earn in four years. I was tempted to check him for ulcers. "Kainon, go play with your friends. RELAX!" He now fits friends and dances into the equation too.

I'm proud of him, I am. However, for every activity there is a practice, a game, a performance, a meeting, a field trip slip, a packed lunch, a fundraiser.... you get my drift. Did I mention he is not old enough to drive himself to 6:45am practice?!?

I'm not complaining. I'm proud that he is so driven and involved. I like that he is so active and works hard for his successes. He is just a lot to keep up with.

ahhh...... I hope he remembers us in his acceptance speech someday.

1 comment: