The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

quit rubbing my hair

I have short hair. You know this. I blog this. I feel its a good look for me, its low maintenance and it gives me an excuse to take scissors to my head for "a trim" when I get the hunkering for it. However, my short hair is somehow like a pregnant belly that people feel they have the right to touch without asking or acknowledging that I might not want them to.


Here are the people that touch my hair:


1) Women in the bathroom or the elevator: "You're hair is so sweet. Do you just love it?"

This is usually done while they have their hands on each side of my hair framing my face. I fear they might pinch my cheeks next and ask me when I got boobies.

2) Men who think I'm one of the boys: I like to play football and (as demonstrated in this picture from the weekend) don't mind getting dirty. But why do guys feel the need to rub my head in a "hey sporto" kind of way. I'm sorry you didn't have a little brother growing up, but I am not it.


3) Children who find me adorable: I see lots of women with short hair. Many are even grandmas, but kids rub my hair as if they've never seen it before. Its like I'm a puppy. Okay, I kind of like this one... well, unless their hands are sticky. Then, yuk.

1 comment:

  1. Really, that happens. I don't think anyone has ever touched my hair. NO wait I remember a girl in high school who did and hairdressers of course.
    We humans are a strange lot.

    ReplyDelete