The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach

Friday, August 6, 2010

i think the school is trying to pulling a fast one on kindergarten parents

7:12am: Dropping off the little ones at daycare
I ask Zeph's teacher what class he will be in when school starts in two weeks because he will be in afternoon Kindergarten. She tells me "they don't do that anymore" because there aren't enough half day kids to justify hiring a teacher. Apparently he can't be in any other classes because he is too old. Hmmmm.

8:05am: Daycare Director calls me
Miss Linda told me about her conversation with you. I can't believe I didn't tell you that before.
We just don't offer a half day program. I am so sorry.

8:10am: I call the Elementary School
There is a waiting list to get Zeph into a full day Kindergarten class. (How is that possible when its a public school and there are no other schools in town?) Oh, and if you want him to go full day is $250 a month. (This seems ridiculous when I don't have to pay for 2nd, 4th grades?!) We'll call you if something opens up.

In the duration: Sending venting texts to my Jason.

8:15am: Emailing daycare provider
I have a friend who has a home daycare. Her kids are in sports so I talk to her alot. She is fun and my kids love her. I figure since Zeph has to go somewhere else then I will move the girls too.(so there.)

8:45am: Remembering to breathe
Feeling happy about this new solution. Confident that Bobbie will love to take my little darlings.

9:55am: Elementary school calls
There is now an opening in all day Kindergarten. (We were on the bottom of the list an hour ago.) I tell them I think I solved my daycare dilemma so I will let them know by afternoon what I decide.

Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. We started school on Wed, July 28th, and I found out on Mon, 26th that my 5 yo had to be in afternoon kinder. I called the school, because I couldn't find the bus route so I could inform the daycare. That's because there is no bus for the half day kindergartners. Our school is charging $185 per month for full day. Ouch. Just can't do that. Tues, 27th, changed my 4yo to afternoon preschool at the school, to coincide with brother in kindergarten. Also found out that the daycare doesn't transport to or from kindergarten for half day program. Ouch.
    Wed, 28th. First day of school Panic has not set in, because I don't have to go to work. Still, deep breathing and frantic calls to more daycares and changing of appointments are necessary. Son home from college is doing my babysitting.
    Eventually I found a child development center that is doing preschool. I love their program, they'll drive to kindergarten and it's affordable. We started last Thursday.
    Just in time, since College Boy left today.
    Whew! I think I'll make it.
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN! (It's bound to get better!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJ thanks for sharing. Its sad to know this is a common dilemma, but my misery does love company! :)

    ReplyDelete