
Kainon "graduates" from junior high on Monday. Um... great?
In our school district this means:
1) slide show with baby pictures to now
2) photo presentation (which I apparently need to whip up by 3:30p tomorrow)
3) trip to amusement park
In our school district this means:
1) slide show with baby pictures to now
2) photo presentation (which I apparently need to whip up by 3:30p tomorrow)
3) trip to amusement park
4) getting out of school 2.5 days before other grades
5) graduation breakfast
6) graduation awards assembly
7) graduation walk through
8) graduation "senior" pictures
9) graduation itself
10)graduation dance
11)ambulance resussitation from graduation overdose
I am glad for la-di-dahs now and then. I took pictures of Zephs preschool graduation a few weeks ago, so this probably makes me a hypocrite. 5 years olds are cute with tasseled hats on though. But as Kainon put it "Aren't you supposed to go to high school? What is the big deal?"
The principal had to put out a memo not allowing limosines this year. Really?!?! Girls get their hair/nails done and this is the first year tuxedos or formals are not allowed. Can you say OUT OF FRIGGIN HAND?!!?
I agree with celebrating accomplishments and milestones but legally with "no child left behind" and truancy laws the kids have to go to ninth grade anyway. What are we congratulating them for?
I thought maybe Kainon was just downplaying all of the hoopla because he knows I don't have fat bankroll (and because of my eyerolls). But I really think he is that down to earth. Yesterday he came home with a t-shirt adorned with freshly inked signatures. He explained it was his yearbook. I had offered to buy him one (they don't cost much) and he declined. He liked the wearable art instead. He would like to wear cargo shorts to the graduation (school rules say dress clothes).
5) graduation breakfast
6) graduation awards assembly
7) graduation walk through
8) graduation "senior" pictures
9) graduation itself
10)graduation dance
11)ambulance resussitation from graduation overdose
I am glad for la-di-dahs now and then. I took pictures of Zephs preschool graduation a few weeks ago, so this probably makes me a hypocrite. 5 years olds are cute with tasseled hats on though. But as Kainon put it "Aren't you supposed to go to high school? What is the big deal?"
The principal had to put out a memo not allowing limosines this year. Really?!?! Girls get their hair/nails done and this is the first year tuxedos or formals are not allowed. Can you say OUT OF FRIGGIN HAND?!!?
I agree with celebrating accomplishments and milestones but legally with "no child left behind" and truancy laws the kids have to go to ninth grade anyway. What are we congratulating them for?
I thought maybe Kainon was just downplaying all of the hoopla because he knows I don't have fat bankroll (and because of my eyerolls). But I really think he is that down to earth. Yesterday he came home with a t-shirt adorned with freshly inked signatures. He explained it was his yearbook. I had offered to buy him one (they don't cost much) and he declined. He liked the wearable art instead. He would like to wear cargo shorts to the graduation (school rules say dress clothes).
He is good people. That is worth celebrating.
I celebrate that he has learned (well still needs a little practice) that its better to let people notice your skills and commend you, rather than you telling them how awesome you are.
I celebrate that he has learned how to be the dumper and the dumpee, yet still go to school the next day.
I celebrate that you are involved in many things (orchestra, sports, geography bee, water conservation club i don't know what that is) so that you don't get pigeonholed into one category.
I celebrate that you don't want to sit with me at school functions but you still give me a kiss *and I heard you tell your friends that your mom is cool.

I saw this child when he was a few days old...if not a day. I can't believe how old he is...or how TALL. He's a good kid. He's going to be an even better man. The graduation sounds nuts to me. How will HS graduation compete? It's RIDICULOUS.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I used to call the house and when he answered I thought he was you. Is that nuts?? Now...his voice has dropped and he's going to be in HS. What a cute little boy he was. Ugh.
That's great (if a little out of control)! Congratulations to him and you, for being the awesome woman that got him there.
ReplyDeleteCute! He does sound like good people.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to him and you for your part in supporting him to become so much.
ReplyDelete