The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach

Monday, March 29, 2010

And gosh darnit, people like me.


The sun is out. I want to curl up and nap in it like a cat. I'm not even tired, but cats look so zen when they do that.
I am ignoring the fact that my hair resembles Justin Bieber today.

We had Junah, Wrigley and Savannah yesterday because their mom had a funeral to go to. It wasn't their smoothest day. Wrig was cranky and his bad mood spreads like a cancer. Therefore, Junah wasn't as go with the flow either. Savannah provoked Wrig on purpose. Not a joyous reunion, but we had the last month of smooth sailing to keep us focused on the upswing. Jason and I rolled with the punches. We did give each kid had their turn in the "therapy chair." Minor bumps and I didn't flip out. I call that a success.

Back to the sun being out. I think it helps Zeph's "Im the baby therefore I whine" syndrome. He was outside playing most of the weekend. When my Jason and I were folding laundry in our room we could watch Z playing basketball in the drive. He has his bball shirt, his bball shoes, his Harlem Globetrotter wristbands. He will shoot for hours like this. I could see his lips moving, I raised the window and we eavesdropped:

I will not always be small. (shoot)
I will not always be tiny. (dribble)
I will grow. (shoot)
I will only play soccer until I am big enough to play basketball. (dribble)
I will be sent to the line. (dribble between the legs that was not successful)
The guards will be afraid of me. (rescuing stray ball)
I will not be stopped. (dribble)
I will not always be small. (swoosh!)

Sometimes I wish he would always be small.

3 comments:

  1. Man, this illustrates how we live in different parts of the country. Sun there, clouds here...and dreary.

    I just want to comment on Z and his mantras. Amazing. I really do find his self pep talks as a fantastic characteristic. You should credit yourself as a great example. He sees you getting right back up and fighting after things send you tumbling. He may not know the back stories, but he sees the strength. VERY COOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes very cool. You can be very proud of all of you and your willingness to cope so well. Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reread this today and teared up.

    ReplyDelete